Healthy Banana Bread
We’ve given this Aussie classic a healthy makeover substituting vegetable oil and refined sugar with steamed pumpkin puree and plenty of mashed ripe bananas to make a naturally sweet, dense batter. The result is a deliciously moist loaf that you can enjoy at any time of day. This banana bread freezes well, so we’ve written this recipe so you can bake 2 small 500g loaves – one to enjoy warm from the oven and one to slice and pop in the freezer for another time. Perfect for breakfast on the go, lunchboxes, afternoon tea and healthy road trip snacks.
- 250g pumpkin, chopped
- 250g mashed banana
- 40ml rice bran oil or light olive oil
- 60ml maple syrup
- 60g raw sugar
- 105g plain flour
- 105g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC and grease 2 small loaf pans.
- Steam pumpkin for 15-20 minutes in a steaming basket over hot water, or for 6-7 minutes in the microwave. Cool then blend in a food processor until a puree.
- Add the banana, oil, maple syrup and sugar to the food processor and whiz until a thick puree.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Lightly whisk the egg in a separate bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the banana puree and egg. Stir with a spatula until the ingredients are almost completely incorporated (don't overmix).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans until 1/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If baking 1 large loaf, bake for 40-45 minutes. Check the loaves 20 minutes through the cook time to ensure the tops aren’t browning too quickly. Cover with foil if necessary.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Makes 2 loaves (500g each)
Enjoy with an Organic Tea