Fig & Sticky Date Cake
This egg-free cake will delight any sweet tooth. Don’t skimp on the butterscotch sauce – it adds a real touch of indulgence!
- 190g dried dates, finely chopped
- 190g dried figs, finely chopped
- 500ml hot Nerada Black tea
- 125g butter, softened
- 375g castor sugar
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 185g self raising flour
- 2 tspn bicarb soda
- 170g brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 125ml cream
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 22cm cake tin.
- Place fruit in a saucepan, pour over hot Nerada black tea and simmer for 5 minutes, or until a jam-like consistency. Allow to cool.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
- Fold in the fruit mixture, flours and bicarbonate of soda.
- Spoon into tin, level the top and bake for 30-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- To make the butterscotch sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring continuously.
- Serve cake warm, with lots of butterscotch sauce.