Mandarin Tea Bread
A real treat to enjoy on your own or with friends and family. This beautiful mandarin bread recipe uses fresh man...
A real treat to enjoy on your own or with friends and family. This beautiful mandarin bread recipe uses fresh mandarin peel mixed with our very own Nerada Black Tea to bring it to life.
- 2 cups hot Nerada Black Tea
- Peel of 2 mandarins, finely chopped
- 2 unpeeled mandarins, washed, cut in half
- 100 g mixed peel
- 200 g raisins, chopped
- 100 g butter, at room temperature
- 100 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 g plain flour
- 300 g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Few drops of Cointreau, lemon or orange essence (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line two 10cm x 24cm loaf pans with baking paper.
- Pour 1 cup of hot tea over the mandarin peel in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes or allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze juice from mandarin halves into a measuring jug. Make up the volume to 1 cup using leftover Nerada Tea, if necessary.
- Remove mandarin peel from the mandarin halves and finely chop (if there is a lot of pith you can discard some). Place in a small saucepan along with the mandarin juice. Simmer until tender and the liquid is reduced by half.
- Place the mixed peel and raisins into a medium bowl. Pour over the liquid reduction and the soaked mandarin liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well.
- Fold in flours and baking powder. Stir in the peel mixture and add a few drops of lemon or orange essence (or a dash of Cointreau) if desired.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool.