Mix up your muffin routine with these satisfying savoury muffins. Smoked cheese gives these vegetarian muffins a rich flavour combined with virtuous spinach and chives. We love these for breakfast, lunch, picnics and lunchboxes. Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese – mozzarella, parmesan, feta, gouda, pecorino and goat’s cheese would also work a treat in place of smoked cheddar.
- 2½ cups self raising flour
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped
- 180g smoked cheese, grated (substitute cheddar)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup good quality tomato relish, plus extra to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the flour, spinach, peas, chives, cheese, oil, milk, eggs, and relish in a large bowl and mix until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the mixture between 10-12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) lightly greased muffin tins and cook for 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
Turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve with extra tomato relish.
Enjoy with a cup of Nerada Black Tea