Every Australian loves a caramel slice, but we're willing to bet you've not had one like this before. With a simple biscuit base, soft caramel filling and a chocolate topping, it’s one of those classic Australian bakes. Made even more delicious when served with a cup of our Nerada Black Tea.
Did you know, that while we call this Australian baking favourite a caramel slice, overseas, it’s also known as millionaire’s shortbread, caramel shortbread and chocolate caramel bars?
320g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
2 cups plain flour
400g can condensed milk
2 Tbsp golden syrup
200g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Lightly grease a 20x20cm square baking tin.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 200g of butter for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add half the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour and mix gently with a wooden spoon until it comes together to form a dough.
- Press evenly into the base of the prepared tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool completely.
- For the caramel filling, in a small saucepan, heat the condensed milk over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Add the remaining butter, sugar, and syrup. Gently heat until the butter is melted, and the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Be careful as it will become extremely hot. Allow it to stand for 1 minute off the heat, then carefully pour over the cooled shortbread. Allow to cool completely and firm up.
- For the topping, break the chocolate into small pieces into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water (being careful not to let the bowl touch the water) to melt the chocolate (use a metal spoon to occasionally stir if needed). Pour evenly over the caramel and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Makes 15 squares
Want to discover more of our delicious recipes? Click here.